18.2.20

What in the world do I create?

As I dive deeper into this project, I am beginning to feel overwhelmed trying to pick what idea I will follow through with. I can do anything with this project; there are so many possibilities! While brainstorming what idea I will follow through with, I found a TED Talk from Disney Pixar filmmaker Andrew Stanton. 

TED Talk
His advice on storytelling was eye-opening for me. The most important lesson I learned from Mr. Stanton was that when telling a story, it is effective to "give the 2+2 but never the 4." He further explains this by saying "The audience actually wants to work for their meal. They just don't want to know that they're doing that. That's your job as a storyteller, is to hide the fact that you're making them work for their meal." 

This technique would be very effective with the horror genre as horror is all about anticipating what is going to happen next. I explained this in my description of the Final Destination 3 film opening, where I found that I was hooked on the movie just by watching the roller coaster accident unfold and wondering what would happen next to all the characters. 

I now know how I want to tell my story, but I don't know what I want to tell. For now, I'm going to get back to brainstorming ideas and continue researching my genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment