27.2.20

What's in a name?

“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” -Spoken by Juliet, Romeo & Juliet, Act 2 Scene 2

What's in a name? Seriously. What goes into a name? I researched this topic because now is the time where I develop a name for my film. A poorly named film could throw the whole undertaking off balance. For example, if the name is too hard and does not roll off the tongue, people may not post or talk about it. The lack of promotion will greatly damper its success. In addition, an improperly named film can lead to bad reviews. For example, a film with a romantic sounding name will primarily attract audiences who enjoy romance films. Typically, those same people do not enjoy action films very much. If the film featured a lot of action and a small number of sobby love scenes, the audience would not be very happy, as what was shown is not what they are interested in. For these reasons, it is imperative for a film to be named appropriately and effectively.

Effective names are usually short and related to the material. Most of the time, they are based on a character, location, or situation that is featured in the film. This gives the viewers some sort of knowledge of what the film will be about. Using these guidelines, I have come up with the following names:
  • Stranger Danger
  • Rosewood
  • A New Life
  • The Long Road Ahead
  • A Mother's Love
  • Held
  • Held at Home
  • Momma
  • My Son
  • New
  • Vacancy
  • A Mother's Kiss
  • Darkness
  • Guardian
  • Black Street
  • Columbus Hill
  • Rebirth
That is a lot of names. It looks like I'm going to have to narrow them down. I'm going to test them out by having my classmates read them. If they can't tell me a general idea of what they think the film will be about, I will cut it off the list. Then, I will choose from the remaining list. Stay Tuned!

References:
Script Reader Pro. (2018, 22 Nov). MOVIE TITLE IDEAS: 3 WAYS TO COME UP WITH COOLER TITLES. Retrieved from https://www.scriptreaderpro.com/movie-title-ideas/

No comments:

Post a Comment