2.4.21

Love, sorrow, and the emotions that power climate action video

 Hello! This morning, I woke up to a notification recommending that I watch a TED Talk on Youtube called "Love, sorrow, and the emotions that power climate action" by Knut Ivar Bjorlykhaug. I immediately gravitated to Youtube to watch this video, as it looked like it was about a topic that was very similar to the topic of my docuseries. Take a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pl44w0iYc4

After watching the video, I realized that the purpose of my docuseries is very similar to the purpose of Bjorlykhaug's speech. Therefore, I plan to use this video as a model for constructing my 5-minute extract, which will serve to inspire viewers to care for and protect America's National Parks. 

Pulling at heartstrings

One tactic that I plan to take from this TED Talk is the exploitation of emotion through jarring visuals and alarming facts. For example, from 1:44 to 2:32, Bjorlykhaug uses a "what-if" scenario to tap into the emotions of his viewers. He asks, "Picture that place you love... is in some way broken, or even worse, gone...Well, it's not about imagination anymore. The destruction of nature and wildlife is real." By including this line in his speech, Bjorlykhaug is able to tap into the emotions of the viewers and use an alarming realization to show them the truth about climate change. With the inclusion of this line, Bjorlykhaug is able to strike fear into the hearts of his viewers, which will in turn empower them to take action on climate change.

Ecological Sorrow

Ecological sorrow is the feelings associated with loss and morning of nature. According to Bjorlykhaug, "many people in various cultural contexts feel a complicated form of loss and morning regarding nature." Ecological sorrow is just one of the feelings that empower people to take action on climate change. Bjorlykhaug argues that this is because love and sorrow are connected and that because people share a love for nature, they will also share an emotional pain for it if it is ever lost. From 7:05 to 7:21, Bjorlykhaug includes jarring visuals of pollution and ecological disaster in order to evoke these feelings of ecological sorrow in his viewers.


After watching this TED Talk, I found feelings of ecological love and sorrow are the emotions that empower viewers to take action on climate change. If a person makes room for these feelings, they will be more inclined to act, as they cannot ignore the overbearing feelings of nature's impending doom. In my extract, I plan to evoke these same feelings of ecological love and sorrow in my viewers through the use of jarring visuals and alarming facts. By doing so, I will be better equipped to achieve my purpose of inspiring viewers to care for and protect America's National Parks.


No comments:

Post a Comment