17.3.20

Editing Update

Hello! During my time at home yesterday and today, I have started editing the first portion of my film opening. Take a look at this rough draft:


After putting this piece together, I have found some problems with my production:

First, it is longer than I expected. The opening is already 1 minute and 27 seconds long. This is a challenge because that only gives me thirty seconds for the rest of the opening. It is possible to include the second portion in thirty seconds, but it may be more complicated than I realize. 

Second, something I found during my editing was that it was hard to convey movement and setting changes without showing the full range of motion. For example, when the female character was making her cereal, I originally filmed the whole process (i.e. getting out the bowl, taking the cereal out of the pantry, getting a spoon) but only included one part of it (putting the cereal in the bowl). I am still on the fence about that portion of the video because I feel that it does not flow with the rest of the production, as it is put together with lots of quick cuts. In the next part of my filming, I will have to deal with this same problem when the female is driving to the park. I can't show the whole process of her leaving the house and driving away because it will take too much time. So, I plan to only include a shot of her pulling in to the park. This will make the viewers assume that she went from her house to the park without actually showing it.

Coronavirus Update:
I am still stuck at home, as my community has been asked to practice social distancing. Therefore, I waiting for guidance as to how I should continue with this project. I am going to try to meet with my cousin for a very short period of time this week to film his short portion of the opening. However, I am unsure about whether or not I will be permitted, as matters are only getting worse.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment