1.3.20

I picked the perfect name...

Hello! After consulting with my peers and doing more brainstorming, I have chosen a name for my production! Here is a description of the process that I went through to pick the name:

After eliminating a portion of my names after my name game, I had these names remaining:
  • Stranger Danger
  • A New Life
  • A Mother's Love
  • My Son
  • Vacancy
  • Black Street
  • Columbus Hill
  • Welcome Home
  • Home Sweet Home

To narrow the list down, I talked to my parents and they said that these names were the most effective for my film idea:
  • Stranger Danger
  • A Mother's Love
  • Vacancy
  • Columbus Hill
  • Welcome Home
  • Home Sweet Home
From this list, I looked up those names and I found that "A Mother's Love", "Vacancy", "Welcome Home" and "Home Sweet Home"  were already taken by other productions. I was disappointed because, in my opinion, those were the most effective names for my film opening. After taking those names off the list, I was left with:

  • Stranger Danger
  • Columbus Hill
I truly did not think that either of these names were appropriate for my piece. They did not match the tone I was trying to establish and would have been ineffective. Instead of picking from these two names, I have decided on naming my film...

Welcome Home

Although this name is not the most unique of the bunch, I have decided that it would be the best fit my film. I want to convey the idea that the "mother" (a.k.a. the kidnapper) is blind to the fact that she is causing harm to an innocent child. Furthermore, I want to show that in her mind, there is nothing wrong keeping the child, as she is doing what she is doing out of love and not out of evil. 

"Welcome Home" is a good name for this idea because it can be seen from multiple perspectives. Think of it like this: from the "mother's" view, it can be taken as a genuine welcome home, as she has brought the child back to what she thinks is now his home. On the other hand, it can be looked at with a more ominous perspective. In this perspective, the home can be seen as a resting place, somewhere where someone will stay for the rest of their lives without leaving. For example, someone who is dying and will be buried or kept in one place for eternity is sometimes described as someone who is "going home."

"Welcome Home" is a perfect name to represent the characters' conflicting viewpoints of what occurs in the film. From the "mother's" perspective, she sees it as her doing a good deed by bringing a child to a safe environment that she sees as home. The "son" is oblivious to what is happening to him and sees nothing wrong, but the viewers understand what is truly occurring. The viewers, who are taking the perspective of the "son", see it as the boy being taken against his will and being a victim of a horrible crime.

I can't wait to see how "Welcome Home" comes to life! Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment